1 a lump on the body caused by a blow
2 something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from a form [syn: bulge, hump, gibbosity, gibbousness, jut, prominence, protuberance, protrusion, extrusion, excrescence]
3 an impact (as from a collision); "the bump threw him off the bicycle" [syn: blow]
1 knock against with force or violence; "My car bumped into the tree" [syn: knock]
2 come upon, as if by accident; meet with; "We find this idea in Plato"; "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"; "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day" [syn: find, happen, chance, encounter]
3 dance erotically or dance with the pelvis thrust forward; "bump and grind"
4 assign to a lower position; reduce in rank; "She was demoted because she always speaks up"; "He was broken down to Sargeant" [syn: demote, relegate, break, kick downstairs] [ant: promote]
5 remove or force from a position of dwelling previously occupied; "The new employee dislodged her by moving into her office space" [syn: dislodge, displace]
- Rhymes with: -ʌmp
- A light blow or jolting collision.
- The sound of such a collision.
- A protuberance on a level surface.
- A swelling on the skin caused by illness or injury.
- (Rowing) The point, in a race in which boats are spaced apart at the start, at which a boat begins to overtake the boat ahead.
- The swollen abdomen of a pregnant woman.
- A post in an Internet forum thread made in order to raise the thread's profile by returning it to the top of the list of active threads.
a light blow or jolting collision
the sound of such a collision
a protuberance on a level surface
a swelling on the skin caused by illness or injury
the point in a race in which boats are spaced apart at the start
the swollen abdomen of a pregnant woman
a post in an Internet forum thread made in order to raise the thread's profile
To post in an Internet forum thread in order to raise the thread's profile by returning it to the top of the list of active threads.
Bump or Bumps may refer to:
- Bump (Internet), raising a thread's profile by returning it to the top of the list of active threads
- Bump (union), in an unionised work environment, a re-assignment of jobs on the basis of seniority
- Bump (football), a body contact alternative to a tackle and shepherding method in Australian Rules Football
- Bump (rowing), a feature of rowing at Oxford and Cambridge
- Bumps race, a type of rowing competition
- Bump mapping, a computer graphics technique
- Speed bump, a raised portion of road designed to slow traffic
- Coal mine bump, a seismic jolt occurring within a mine
- Lock bumping, a method of lock picking
- The bumps, a birthday tradition
- Bump (Music), a progressive rock/pop group from Detroit, MI founded in 2001
- Bump (Transformers), a fictional character in the Transformers universe.
- Bump (television), a short video segment used in advertising
- Bump (professional wrestling), making actual contact with another individual, an object, or the ground
- Bump (TV series), a 1990 children's programme featuring an elephant
- "Bump (song)", a 2005 single by Raven-Symoné
- Bump (album), a Jazz album recorded by musician John Scofield in 2000
- Bump (dance), a dance from the 1970s disco era
- Bump (pricing game), a game played on The Price Is Right from 1985 through 1991
- Mr. Bump, a Mr. Men character
- "Bump, Bump, Bump", a 2003 single by B2K featuring P. Diddy
- The Bump, a 1974 hit single by Kenny
Bump may also refer to:
- The removal of passengers from an overbooked airline flight
- Colloquialism for a skin lesion such as pimple, blackhead, etc.
- A "shout out"
- A dosage of some illegal substance (slang, most often in reference to cocaine)
- The basketball elimination game invented by Keith Setty and Garyn Waits in 1987. Knockout (game)
- A pregnant celebrity (starting to show)
- A small dose of cocaine to continue the recreational effect or prevent the comedown.
CAT, abase, abasement, ability, aerospace, aerosphere, air hole, air pocket, airspace, appulse, aptness, assassinate, assault, bang, bang into, bear, bear upon, bearing, bent, bilge, blain, bleb, blister, blob, blow, bob, bobble, boil, boost, boot, boss, bounce, bow, break, brunt, bubble, buck, buffet, bulb, bulge, bull, bulla, bulldoze, bulldozing, bulling, bump against, bump into, bump off, bunch, bunion, bunt, burl, burst, bust, butt, butt against, button, cahot, caliber, can, cannon, capability, capacity, carambole, carbuncle, carom, carom into, cashier, casting down, ceiling, chance, chatter, chine, chink, chuckhole, clap, clash, click, clink, clop, clump, clunk, collide, collision, colophon, come across, come into collision, concavity, concuss, concussion, condyle, confront each other, convex, convexity, corn, crack, crack up, crack-up, cram, crash, crash into, crosswind, crowd, crump, crunch, cyst, dactylogram, dactylograph, dash into, debase, debasement, defrock, degradation, degrade, degrading, dement, demote, demotion, dent, deplume, depluming, depose, deprive, destroy, didder, dig, dilatation, dilation, dint, disbar, discharge, disemploy, disgrade, disgrading, dismiss, dispatch, displace, displume, displuming, distension, dither, do away with, do in, dowel, dower, downgrade, downgrading, dowry, drive, drum out, dull thud, ear, edema, elbow, eliminate, embossment, empty space, encounter, endowment, equipment, excrescence, execute, expel, faculty, fall foul of, falter, favorable wind, fingerprint, fire, flair, flange, flap, flick, flop, flump, fog, footmark, footprint, footstep, force, forte, fossil footprint, foul, front, furlough, furuncle, gall, genius, gift, give the ax, give the gate, gnarl, goad, grimace, hammering, handle, have an ague, head, head wind, high-pressure area, hill, hit, hit against, hole, humble, humbling, hump, hunch, hurt, hurtle, hustle, ice, ichnite, ichnolite, impact, impinge, impingement, impress, impression, imprint, indent, indentation, indention, instinct, intumescence, ionosphere, jab, jactitate, jam, jar, jerk, jetstream, jig, jigget, jiggle, jog, joggle, jolt, jostle, jounce, jump, kick, kick upstairs, kill, knack, knob, knock, knock against, knot, knur, knurl, lay off, let go, let out, light, lip, liquidate, long suit, loop, low-pressure area, lower, luck, lump, make redundant, makings, mauling, meet, meeting, metier, mole, mountain, mudhole, murder, natural endowment, natural gift, nevus, nub, nubbin, nubble, nudge, onslaught, overcast, pad, papilloma, parts, pat, patter, paw print, pawmark, peg, pension off, percuss, percussion, pile drive, pimple, pitapat, pitter-patter, plump, plunk, pock, pocket, poke, pop, potential, pothole, power, powers, press, pressure, print, prod, protuberance, pug, pugmark, punch, push, pustule, put away, quake, qualification, quaver, quiver, ram, ram down, ramming, rap, rattle, read out of, reduce, reduction, release, remove, replace, report, retire, rib, rictus, ridge, ring, rising, roughness, rub out, run, run across, run against, run into, rut, sack, seal, sebaceous cyst, separate forcibly, shake, shiver, shock, shoulder, shove, shudder, sideswipe, sigil, signet, slam, slam into, slap, slat, sledgehammering, smack, smack into, smash, smash into, smash up, smash-up, smashing, soup, space, speciality, spine, splat, stamp, step, stratosphere, stress, strike, strike against, strip, strip of rank, stripping of rank, strong flair, strong point, stud, stumble, style, substratosphere, superannuate, surplus, suspend, swap, swell, swelling, swollenness, tab, tail wind, talent, talents, tamp, tap, the goods, the stuff, thrust, thrusting, thud, thumbmark, thumbprint, thump, thwack, tic, tick, tinkle, tremble, tremor, tropopause, troposphere, trough, tubercle, tubercule, tumble, tumefaction, tumescence, tumidity, tumor, tunk, turbulence, turgescence, turgescency, turgidity, turn, turn off, turn out, twitch, twitter, unfrock, verruca, vesicle, vestige, vibrate, visibility, visibility zero, wale, wallop, wart, waste, welt, wen, whack, wham, whap, what it takes, whomp, whop, wipe out, wobble